Monday, July 16, 2007

Edgware Birth Centre

Pictures taken this Morning/Midday, me at 30 weeks (7th month)



Today, at 3pm, we have an appointment at the Edgware Birthcente, a midwife run unit that encourages 'natural birth'. 80% of their births are actually water births and they have large pools to facilitate that. Maybe I get to take some pictures of it, so you can have an idea where I will be labouring. :) See you later!

Father-to-be at 30 weeks (7th month)



After our photo session we're leaving for Edgware birth centre, a travel that takes us nearly 1.5 hours across the city (*umpf*). The midwife, Conny, is German :) and comes from Potsdam near Berlin, where I was born and raised. I get to take pictures of one of the delivery rooms:



you can look out of the window, but windows are reflective from the outside :)



nice, big birthing pools adjacent to all the rooms and some equipment, somewhere they're hiding a birthing stool; no ropes by the way! :(((

Not quite as nice as some of the German birth centres, but still better than hospital...although today a Dr. who examined me, heavily questions the idea of going to a midwife-led unit. He said: "What if the baby is in distress or your contractions are not strong enough etc etc.." geeee, I don't know.....I don't want to be an irresponsible mother, but I feel comfortable at that place and midwives take their time and listen to you.

And last but not least: IKEA :)



which bed to choose?

7 comments:

Charlene said...

Oh wie süß!!!

JCrawford said...

Natural birth! That's the way it should be done. Good for you guys!

Milena said...

yeah, Jen, but that means no pain relief except gas and air! :) I will regret this ;)

Charlene said...

Oh ja. Und ich kann dir nur sagen, dass die homöopathischen Kügelchen beimir auch nichts bewirkt haben...

Charlene said...

Also zu dem Bett: Wichtig ist erst einmal, dass es höhenverstellbar ist und dass man evtl. einige Gitterstäbe rausnehmen kann. Die Matratze ist aber eigentlich noch wichtiger als das Bett. Da sollte man nicht sparen. Schließlich liegt der kleine die erste Zeit oft darauf. Aber passt das Bett denn bei euch rein. Ansonsten könnte man zunächst einen Stubenwagen nutzen. Der ist kleiner und kann hin und her geschoben werden.
Und nicht vergessen: Keine Decke, sondern einen Babyschlafsack benutzen!!!
Liebe Grüße und noch einen schönen Sonntag,
Charlene

Milena said...

Ja, es ist höhenverstellbar. Die Matraze werden wir uns nochmal genauer anschauen. Komisch, daß du es erwähnst. Wir haben letzte Nacht erst darüber gesprochen, daß wir uns für die Anfangszeit erst einmal einen 'Moses Basket' holen. Der nimmt nicht so viel Platz ein, denn Platz ist ein kleines Problem für uns :)

JCrawford said...

Ahhhh...Ikea...The global center of inexpensive, yet stylish furniture!