Inspired by a fellow blogger, Michelle, I (and Ryon) want to take on the challenge of being vegetarians for at least two weeks. The challenge started yesterday and will last until the 4th of September with the possibility of extension. But Im planning to be in Germany over Bennet's birthday so I might revert to old habits, especially when I can't afford to buy food, but have to live off other's expenses (but then I can't really afford to buy propper food in this country is what it seems). To put my all in it and to get some ideas what we could eat, now that we omit meat, I took out two vegetarian cookbooks at the library. I flicked through them and the recipes inside look extremly yummy, so I said to Ryon that I could imagine turning into a vegetarian for longer if not good. And this comes out of the mouth of a devoted carnivore :) I have to add that Ryon and I have already been avoiding red meats for quite some time and stuck to chicken, turkey and fish (mostly). However, these ones I have been enjoying to the full, especially as there is no better soup than a chicken soup with some chicken on the bone. The flavour is just not the same without it. :( That's why I wonder if I can stick to it longer than 2 weeks??? We'll see.
Then, today, Bennet had a trial run at the childminder and I was having typical motherly feelings and doubts about whether I have made the right decision, chosen the right person to look after him, the right environment etc. When I returned after an hour and stepped into the room, Bennet saw me, moaned (as if "How dare you leave me behind, mommy") and came quickly crawling towards me like a little dog. For the record, I will be returning to work on the 22nd September for a mere £50 a week, due to exorbitant childcare costs. I don't even have the option of putting Bennet into nursery, because I wouldn't be able to afford it. So give me a good reason why I should return to work, when I seem to be working to pay the childminder??????????????? Grrrrrr. And in the meantime, cost of electricity, food and water keep rising and rising and the waterlevel is coming up to our chins. Hopefully, Ryon's new job will pull us out of the wet before we drown. Don't know what would have happened to us if he hadn't found the new job??? Now I hope he is not going to spoil it all by telling forbidden jokes, farting or generally behaving in a childish manner that's not accepted when representing a respectable person with a reputable job in an aspiring company. But I think he does realize he's got to be better than that and a family to look after. At least that's what I hope. :)
I better go to bed as it's late.
One topic I'll keep for another time: First Great Western Company. They are evil. And corrupt. Backstabbers!
Bye for now.
Milena
8 comments:
Oooh difficult subject that is...going back to work to be able to pay the nursery/childminder and miss out on whatever your baby is learning or staying at home and MAYBE missing out on whatever it is you might miss out sitting at work doing the above? I decided that when it is that time in my life that I want to stay at home (if we can..but then again..see the above again) Hm.
Wish you all the best and that it works out... :)
I have sworn off red meat myself (Billy still eats it though) and I rarely eat any turkey, ham, chicken...
However, I cannot swear off fish! I would miss sushi too much!!! Just make sure you guys eat all the correct combos of vegetables to meet all of your vitamin and mineral requirements.
Hi Dani, yeah it is a toughy! I really dread parting with Benny, but then I feel really down sometimes, cause I don't have work to make me feel needed and appreciated. Being a mother can be a thankless job. Benny is not yet able to express his feelings for me like I would like him to. All in good time, I know, but it's not good to turn into a hermit to be a stay-at-home mum :) It was REALLY lovely to have my dad around!!!
Hi Jen,
Benny is wearing your overalls and he looks so sweet in them!
By the way, you can be a vegetarian AND meet fish!!! Otherwise I would never do it! :) I know what you mean with Sushi. I, too, LOVE Sushi. Last Saturday, after I had taken my dad to the bus I stopped at Yo!Sushi at Paddington Station and treated myself. It was ages since I had eaten Sushi so it was extra good! Love it!
we can do it schatz! you just fed me a very yummi meat free supper.
also, I get treated with a lot of respect at work, so I ACT with a lot of respect!
Das mit dem weißen Fleisch verstehe ich ehrlich gesagt nicht wirklich. Denn wenn man eine Bilanz aufmachen würde, werden mehr Ressourcen pro g Fleisch verbraucht (also bei weißem Fleisch). Es ist halt in manchen Fällen nur weniger fettig. ??!! Bei eurem Experiment solltet ihr auf jeden Fall auf ausreichend Eisen achten :-) Und muss/soll Benny auch mitmachen? Liebe Grüße und viel Spaß bei eurem Versuch.
Charlene
Well, I have heard that red meat is less healthy and Ryon just told me that the energy consumption is higher so it uses up more resources. But the reason why I avoided it, is an emotional one. I'd rather eat a little hen or turkey than a big cow or a pig. That doesn't make the hen or turkey less valuable, but it helps me with the transition from being a meat-eater to a nonmeat-eater. Don't worry. We'll take care about getting all the right nutients from our new diet. Meat is not the only resource of iron and proteins. Fish and eggs are high in protein and we eat a lot of them lately. I guess the body craves what it's missing...Benny eats whatever is put in front of him including meat. :)
oops, I put up the last post
Ach so...
Post a Comment